How to relieve muscle soreness faster
Tried and tested ways to speed up your recovery and soreness so you can get the best out of your workouts.
Have you had a long training week or been a part of an endurance event that has left your muscles sore? Here are some sure shot, tried and tested ways to relieve the soreness of the muscles quicker:
- Hot-Cold Contrast Showers: These increase blood flow and help to shuttle inflammation out of muscle. Just take a 5 minute shower, and alternate between 20 seconds cold and 10 second hot. Cold packs also help reduce inflammation.
- Curcumin (found in turmeric): In high doses, this tasty ancient Indian spice is actually a potent anti-inflammatory. You can mix turmeric with a hot glass of milk before sleeping for the best effect.
- Foam Roller: Foam rolling is your own personal massage to yourself (unless someone else is rolling it up for you!). A good hard foam roller is available off most e-commerce websites and is a handy tool for everyone to have. Using your own body weight, you can roll different parts of the body to release the muscle tightness / soreness and you will see a remarkable difference in recovery times.
- Massage: Since it can be time consuming and expensive, I rarely go out of my way to hunt down a long sports massage. But after a very hard workout or race, I make an exception. Just one good massage can make an enormous difference, and is far more effective than a foam roller if you really, truly are beat up – (since a foam roller takes quite a bit of energy to use properly).
- Hydrate & Eat Well: Most people remember to hydrate and eat well pre and during workouts but as your body goes into an after burn, it needs proper hydration and nutrition during the rest periods as well.
Do remember to like and share the article if this makes a difference for you. It sure has done for me!
Note: The author is an ultra marathoner and has tried and tested all of the above and also collated data based on other tri-athletes.
Did you enjoy reading this article and recommend it to others? Thumbs Up now! 13